10 commandments for ageless skin – IndiaToday.in – December 10, 2015
24 December 2015
Dr Harshna Bijlani Aesthetic dermatologist, Co-founder and medical head, The Ageless Clinic, Mumbai
1) Protection from the sun
- It not only pigments you but also ages you; obviously, you do not want to have uneven shades on your face and body.
- Stay out of the sun for extended periods. Carry an umbrella or scarf with you for extra shield.
- Use sunscreen daily even if it is not sunny. Make sure you apply minimum of SPF 30 broad spectrum sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection.
- Use sunscreen at least 20 minutes before going out in the sun. Reapply after every two to three hours.
- Remember to apply the correct amount of sunscreen as we generally land up applying too thin a layer.
- Choose the correct sunscreen depending on your skin type. You can go for different types such as cream based, oil free and gel accordingly.
2) Collagen stimulation
- Collagen is what makes our skin look tight and keeps it youthful. As we age the production of collagen declines.
- Technologies are available these days to stimulate the production of new collagen, which results in skin tightening. Top on the list is UltheraTM, a non-invasive focused ultrasound treatment, approved by US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for tightening of the face, chin and neck. It works on the principle of ultrasound waves which stimulate collagen from deeper layers of the skin.
- Another stream of technology, which is effective is the use of radio frequency (RF). RF heats the upper and lower levels of the skin resulting in skin tightening and firming.
3) Avoid smoking and alcohol in excess
- Smoking is bad for your skin. It constricts the flow of blood, studies suggest that a single cigarette constricts blood flow for up to 1.5 hours. This slowing of circulation causes the breaking down of collagen and elastin, which in turn leads to premature ageing.
- Any alcohol consumption in excess is bad for your health and skin. Alcohol makes our skin dry; skin is the largest organ in our body and depleting it of hydration is not a good idea. This can make you wrinkle and look older than you are. It also robs your system of certain vitamins, which are required for cell renewal.
- Some recent studies have shown that dairy products and sweets can cause acne. It is a good idea instead to include veggies and fruits in your diet. But don’t overcook as the essential nutrients get damaged then.
5) Lots of water
- Have six to eight glasses of water through the day. If possible try and drink natural spring water and stay away from RO water.
- Antioxidants like beta-carotene, vitamin C and E in your diet help to cleanse the system from inside out.
- Antioxidants can be in the natural form, vitamins like the new super antioxidant “Crystal Tomato” or serums that can be applied directly to the skin.
7) Sleep well
- Try to get a good eight hours of sleep.
8) Hydrate Skin
- Use a moisturiser in the morning after your bath and at night before you sleep containing hyaluronic acid and peptides.
- Use a moisturiser, cream or water based, as per your skin type.
- Consult a skin specialist to get recommendations.
9) Make a plan
- Visit your skin specialist to help you make a treatment as well as home care plan.
Aesthetic technology and treatments have come a long way. Today, there are safe technologies to nonsurgically tighten your face, neck and decollete, to sculpt your body,
reduce lines and wrinkles, permanently reduce unwanted hair painlessly, reduce pigmentation and even out your skin tone, reduce acne and other scars, revive thinning
eyebrows, and accentuate your chin.
- Scrub, fruit acid cleaner, fruit acid peel, microderm abrasion and the latest wet dermabrasion are some of the options easily available